Youth Academy (U8 - U10)
For players born in 2013, 2014, & 2015 (for Fall 2022- Spring 2023 year)
PTFC Youth Academy is the first level of competitive soccer. If you desire your player to compete against other local clubs, develop as a player, and be surrounded by quality players and coaches, then this program is for you!
- Joining the Program:
- Players interested in Youth Academy must go through the Assessment process (held every May for the following year) For more info & to register please click here
- If you miss the assessments in May, please click here to find out how you can still join the program.
- Year Overview:
- The PTFC Youth Academy is a 1 year commitment
- Fall: Late August - Early November (11-12 weeks)
- Winter: Volta Liga (5-6 sessions)
- Spring: February - Early May (11-12 weeks)
- Monday & Thursdays - 5:45-7:00 PM (2 sessions / week)
- Players are encouraged to arrive at 5:30 if possible to play leading up to the 5:45 start time
- Training sessions are held at Ivey Redmon (Kernersville) & Phillips Park (High Point).
- 7-8 play dates in the fall & 7-8 play dates in the spring (ideally 2 games per date)
- We will play against other local clubs (in Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Burlington, Mebane, & North Charlotte)
- Program Cost: $900 (for the entire year)
- Assessment Fee
- Uniform Fee: PTFC uniforms are on a 2 year cycle. Players returning from the 2021-2022 season do not need a new uniform. Uniforms will be in use from Fall of 2021 through Spring of 2023.
Our Youth Academy Training System is designed to maximize the opportunity for each player to develop and succeed at the appropriate level. To help facilitate individual growth, our coaching staff uses aspects of both pool training and team-building. This enables our coaches the freedom to move players and structure teams from week to week to ensure each player is placed in the right learning environment. We follow the Play-Practice-Play model put in place by US Soccer.
What does my player need at every session?
- Size 4 soccer ball
- Soccer cleats
- Shin guards
- Water bottle
What is the game format?
- Youth Academy plays 7v7 (6 field players + 1 goalkeeper).
- Players are moved to different positions & everyone will be rotated to goalkeeper.
- Playing time is guaranteed and is kept as even as possible.
- Teams are gender specific.
What is the purpose of Assessments?
- Make sure players are ready and a good fit to join the Youth Academy.
- Allow our staff to plan for the year based on number of players and developmental goals.
- Create an exciting environment where our coaches get to work with the returning Youth Academy players and new interested players.
How are teams formed?
Teams are formed during the first few weeks of each season (once at the beginning of the fall & again at the beginning of the spring). Teams are created to provide the best environment for every player in the program. Teams are gender specific. Our staff looks at age, ability, coach ability, along with a number of other factors in determining teams.
From the initial creation of teams, players can be moved from team to team. Our staff regularly discusses what changes need to be made in order to create the best environment. Our goal is focused on the development of players, & we will do our best to put players in the best spot for their development. Remember, you are signing up for the Youth Academy program, NOT a specific team.
Why are teams formed during the beginning of each season instead of at Assessments?
- Our goal is focused on the development of players and doing our best to put players in the best spot for their development:
- Players are able to join the program even after initial assessments are done.
- Players at this age develop at very different rates (a player who trains/plays all summer will develop much faster than a player who does not).
- If we make initial teams at assessments, more players will join and players will develop at different rates over the summer. This would cause us to modify teams immediately to get everyone in the best spot for their development.
Can my player join the program if we missed assessments?
Yes, if your player misses the scheduled assessments, please contact our Youth Academy Director: Carter Robbins, to find out about the Make-Up Tryout Date or to see it's possible to join the program.
Still have questions? Contact our Youth Academy Director: Carter Robbins for more information on our Youth Academy program.